Actress dazzles in Malaysian bling.

http://thestar.com.my/metro/story.asp?file=/2010/11/1/central/7326819&sec=central

By KEE HUA CHEE


FORMER-Bond Girl and current star of Reign of Assassins, Datuk Michelle Yeoh has the pick of any global jeweller from Cartier, Chaumet, Piaget, Mauboussin, Mouwad, Harry Winston or Tiffany. Since this year, Ipoh-born Datuk Michelle Yeoh, Miss Malaysia 1983, has opted for bling from local jeweller Winnie Sin of Rafflesia and Mandalay.
Rafflesia is the last word for pearls while Mandalay, like its name suggests, is the first place connoisseurs congregate to pick the crop of Myanmar’s rubies and jade.
Exquisite: Mandalay’s white jadeite earring with diamonds worth RM98,000 worn by Yeoh in Hong Kong.
Of course, a Malaysian superstar wearing Malaysian designed high jewellery makes nationalistic sense though it started only this year.
“Datin Janet Yeoh, mother of Datuk Michelle Yeoh, is an old friend and customer,” explained the glamorous Winnie Sin, herself often mistaken for a Hong Kong movie star or singer. “This year she invited me for her birthday party in Ipoh and by chance Datuk Michelle Yeoh was there. Usually we met socially at VIP events but as this was a private celebration, Michelle and I managed to have a long chat.”
The star of Reign of Assassins, now showing in local cinemas, admitted to being an admirer of Sin’s jewellery for the last several years when she saw her mother Datin Janet Yeoh wearing Rafflesia and Mandalay bling.
“Datuk Michelle complimented my jewellery as she has a personal fondness for pearls, jade and rubies which are my specialty,” Sin recalled. “I had always wanted her to wear my jewellery to all her red carpet events but was too shy to ask so imagine my joy when she suggested wearing my jewels to the Cannes Film Festival 2010 last May.”
Jade butterfly: Mandalay’s RM238,000 green jadeite brooch with diamonds worn by Yeoh at the Cannes Film Festival.
That was Yeoh’s first outing clad in Rafflesia’s monster pearls and Mandalay’s imperial green jade with the luster of emerald. At the gala she was surprised at the attention her jewels received as many commented and asked the identity of the jeweller.
“Datuk Michelle told me my designs and quality of gems were unique and the press could not identify them since my jewels did not resemble the signature of other world-famous brands,” said Sin.
“Of course, when Datuk Michelle mentioned my name, the foreign media did not recognise Rafflesia, Mandalay and Winnie Sin either but she emphasised that the brand was from Malaysia so I am happy.”
In fact, Yeoh was so enamoured with the splendid jade suite she bought them!
Thus started a fruitful relationship as Yeoh wore Sin’s designs at the movie premieres of Reign of Assassins in Beijing, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Attention grabbing: Yeoh wearing Mandalay’s RM6.8mil imperial green jadeite necklace with diamonds at the Cannes Film Festival.
The beauteous Yeoh smiled as she said, “As a Malaysian I am proud to wear Malaysian jewellery. Rafflesia and Mandalay jewels are world class and as good as the international brands. I have worn jewels from world famous names so I know. This is a case of ‘Malaysia Boleh’ and I am pleased to showcase local talents. Another factor is that all Winnie’s jewellery is one-of-a-kind as she does not repeat her elaborate designs apart from her classic strands of pearls.”
As Yeoh and her beau Jean Todt are promoters of Malaysian tourism, this gives them a chance to push her homeland.
Agrees Yeoh, “Many ask me where they can buy Winnie’s jewellery and I say they must go to Kuala Lumpur as Winnie’s boutiques are located only in Park Royal hotel in Jalan Bukit Bintang and nowhere else. I also remind them to enjoy their holiday in Malaysia since they are already in KL.”
Sin explained, “I represent my brands Rafflesia Pearls and Mandalay Jade and Rubies so I cannot have branches. Personal service from me sets us apart. If someone is buying investment pieces they should purchase directly from the owner rather than sales staff. I advise, recommend and stand behind everything I sell while my after-sale service offers peace of mind.”

No comments:

Post a Comment